Many people are taking fish oil supplements in order to increase their intake of healthy omega-3 fatty acids. You may have also heard of krill oil, which is also a good source of omega-3s. Many companies that make the top fish oil supplements also offer krill oil as an alternative. A common question is, which is better krill oil or fish oil? Let’s explore both fish oil and omega 3 krill oil benefits to help you decide which is the best source of omega 3 fatty acid nutrients.
Is Krill Oil the Same as Fish Oil?
Both fish oil and krill oil supplements are valued as convenient ways to boost levels of healthy omega-3 fatty acids. While both come from the ocean, they are derived from different species. Fish oil comes from salmon, tuna, mackerel, trout and other species of fish. Although krill oil is sometimes grouped with fish oil, krill are not actually fish but crustaceans that resemble shrimp. Krill oil, like fish oil, is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. However, there are also some important differences between krill and fish oil.
Health Benefits of Krill Oil
Here are some important omega 3 krill oil benefits.
- A powerful source of healthy fatty acids, including DHA and EPA. Omega-3s may be more bioavailable in krill oil than fish oil.
- Fights inflammation. Taking an omega-3 supplement can help manage pain and other symptoms associated with inflammation. It can also reduce stiffness and improve mobility in patients suffering from arthritis and other bone disorders.
- Supports heart health. DHA and EPA fatty acids are useful at lowering triglycerides, harmful fats that accumulate in your bloodstream, and raising “good” HDL cholesterol.
- Supports brain health. Omega-3 supplements, including krill oil, show promise at boosting brain health and delaying age-related cognitive decline.
How Krill Oil Differs From Fish Oil
Some krill oil benefits are also common to fish oil. However, krill oil has some distinctive properties, making it more desirable for some supplement users. The following are some unique krill oil benefits.
- Krill oil contains important nutrients aside from omega-3s, such as the antioxidant astaxanthin, which helps protect cells from free radicals. It is also a good source of choline, a nutrient similar to B vitamins, which helps to maintain cell structure.
- Krill oil is more efficient than fish oil at delivering DHA and EPA fatty acids to the body. A smaller amount of krill oil can have the equivalent effects of larger doses of fish oil.
- Krill are wild and cannot be farmed like many fish. A great deal of fish oil on the market is farmed, which often means additives such as antibiotics and hormones. With krill, you can be sure they are from the ocean.
- As krill are at the bottom of the ocean’s food chain, they are less likely than fish to accumulate toxins such as mercury.
- Krill oil doesn’t have the fishy aftertaste often found in fish oils.
Where is the Best Quality Krill Oil?
As omega-3 supplements grow ever more popular, there are numerous fish oil as well as krill oil products on the market. This means there’s a wide disparity when it comes to quality. When choosing a supplement, either for yourself or your customers, it’s important to find a quality source you can trust.
IcelanDirect is a leading supplier of the highest quality supplements, including the top fish oil supplements, krill oil and other omega-3 supplements for humans and pets. We source many products from the clean and protected waters of Iceland, ensuring that customers get the freshest and most effective supplements. All of our products are non-GMO. We provide complete private labeling services, creating products according to your specifications, so companies can build their own trusted brands.
IcelanDirect uses only sustainable harvesting practices, complying with the standards set by the World Health Organization and the Council For Responsible Nutrition. We’re a member of GOED, the global organization that monitors the omega-3 supplement industry. If you want to learn more about the top fish oil supplements and the purest krill oil supplements, contact IcelanDirect.