Omega-3 fatty acids are important for supporting health. Many people take omega fatty acids supplements to make sure they get sufficient quantities of omega-3s. However, it’s also good to pay attention to your diet and find foods that are rich in these healthy fats. What is the best source of omega 3 fatty acid from food sources? The following are seven of the best food sources of omega-3s.
- Salmon. One of the fish with the highest levels of omega-3 is salmon, which is also a favourite dish for many people. When buying salmon, it’s best to get wild rather than farmed salmon. Farmed fish often contain additives such as hormones and antibiotics.
- Mackerel. Another fish high in omega-3s is mackerel, often served smoked. Mackerel is also a good source of other nutrients such as Vitamin B12 and the important mineral selenium.
- Chia seeds. Not everyone is familiar with this food, which is suitable for vegetarians and vegans, chia seeds are a healthy addition to any meal. Chia seeds are highly nutritious, a source of minerals such as selenium, magnesium and manganese as well as omega-3s. You can sprinkle chia seeds on cereal, yogurt, salads or mix it in with smoothies.
- Sardines. These small fish are more often served as snacks or appetizers than as the main course. They are rich in Vitamins D and B12 as well as omega-3s.
- Flax Seeds. Another great vegetarian source of omega-3s, flax seeds are high in ALA, an important omega-3 fatty acid. They are also a good source of fibre. You can use flax seeds in your cooking or blender drinks or purchase a flaxseed oil supplement.
- Seabass. This is a popular fish in Japanese cuisine. You can also find recipes for Mediterranean-style sea bass. This fish is high in protein as well as DHA and EPA omega-3s.
- Walnuts. In addition to being high in omega-3s, walnuts contain significant amounts of fibre, Vitamin E and copper. Research suggests that walnuts are heart-healthy and can help to lower blood pressure.
High Omega 3 Supplements
With omega fatty acids benefits getting so much attention, it’s a good idea to include foods high in essential fatty acids in your diet. However, even people who strive to consume such foods often find it a challenge to consistently get enough omega-3s. That’s why many find that the best source of omega 3 fatty acid is a supplement. Omega-3 supplements come in many forms, such as capsules, liquids and gummies. The following are some of the best high omega 3 supplements.
- Cod liver oil. A rich source of omega 3 oil, cod liver oil also has essential vitamins such as Vitamin A and Vitamin D. Folk medicine in many countries recommend cod liver oil for a variety of ailments such as relieving joint pain and modern science backs up many of these claims.
- Krill oil. Krill are a type of crustacean rather than fish. Krill oil is often one of the purest supplements you can find as krill are always wild and never farmed.
- Fish oil supplements. Fish oil may come from salmon, mackerel, herring, or many other types of fish. There’s a wide spectrum of quality, purity and potency in fish oil supplements, making it important to research products and companies.
- Flaxseed oil. A good choice for vegans and vegetarians.
The best source of omega 3 fatty acid depends on your needs and diet. If you want to market quality omega-3 supplements, it’s a good idea to offer many alternatives. Some customers prefer chewable supplements while others are looking for vegetarian sources of omega-3s. IcelanDirect, one of the leading providers of all-inclusive private label services, can provide you with omega-3 supplements such as cod liver oil, krill oil, flaxseed oil, fish oil gummies and more. We use only the highest quality ingredients and all of our fish are sustainably sourced.